This is a two-day course that focusses on the essential elements of Strategic Thinking. It aims to teach participants how to think strategically every day in their roles as well as part of the business planning process. It helps them to develop a strategic insight, define a strategic vision and create new strategic ideas. They learn a selection of practical strategic thinking tools that enable them to formulate business strategies and think about the big picture. The workshop has been intentionally designed to be interactive so that candidates learn from extensive case studies, apply practical thinking tools and participate in hands-on exercises based on a practical learning approach.
Managers, Senior Managers and Senior Leadership Teams.
- Comprehend strategic thinking
- Comprehend the difference with other types of thinking
- Discuss strategic thinking and planning tools effectively
- Identify the most appropriate strategic plan
Overview of Strategic Thinking
- What is the difference between strategy and tactics?
- Insight, forecasting and foresight
- What is the difference between strategic thinking and strategic planning?
- Getting ready: planning to think
- What is strategic thinking?
- How does strategic thinking differ from operational thinking?
- What are the options to thinking strategically?
- The aims of the strategic thinker
- Some preparatory strategic questions to ask
Essentials for Strategic Thinking
- Focus on the goals
- Weigh Risks against Rewards
- Intuition or hard facts? Both
- Making decision adaptable and flexible
- Establishing priorities
The Strategic Thinker’s Tools
- Guidelines for brainstorming
- Gap Analysis Plus
- Pre-defining Success: Logic framework
- Opportunity Costing
- Setting priorities
- Information analysis
Related Strategic Processes
- Sensitivity analysis
- Contingency planning
- Scenario Planning
From Strategic Thinking to Strategic Planning
- Aligning strategic decisions with critical goals
- Ground rules for making stronger decisions and plans
- Setting measurable, specific objectives
- Keeping strategic planning simple
- The strategic planning team
- How to monitor your strategic plan’s effectiveness
Leading people through change
- How to engage people on the journey
- Overcoming resistance
- How to ensure the plans have the greatest chance of success
- Use and application of the change leadership model